Can an ear infection cause lack of appetite and nausea?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I recently finished 10 days of antibiotics for a sinus/nasal cold/bug. I still have limited sense of smell and appetite and reduced hearing. I started baking for the holidays Thursday and noticed every time I'm baking, I get very nauseous. Was wandering about inner ear problem or infection. Thought going back forth from looking at recipes and ingredients and back and forth from mixing bowl to baking sheets may be aggrevating an ear problem. Is this possible? Is there something else this may be?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it is a possible cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, an ear infection is definitely a possibility. Sinus infection can result in an ear infection because of connections.
Ear infections, since the ears play a major role in balance, can cause nausea. Certain movements can aggravate this.

Sinus congestion/ infection can also cause nausea so if it is not completely cleared, this may also contribute to your symptoms.

Your doctor may suggest another course of antibiotics but till that time you can try dramamine to help with the nausea if it is severe along with the decongestant sudafed (even if you do not have nasal congestion, would help the sinuses if there is an issue).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Thank you. I, actually, was going to try motion sickness med today, since I still have several days of baking.
I will definitely call my doctor Monday.

Thank you, again.
Happy Holidays.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
HI

hope you feel better soon