What causes acidic feeling in throat after taking Amoxicillin?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: i was taking amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day for tooth infection, now i have white tongue ive been having acidic throat, im gassy, no matter what i eat i get real gassy, i feel weak like my knees are going to give out and my body feels heavy i have itchy skin and i got a bump on my arm that looks like a bug bite and rash together and the tip of my finger nails behind were i clip them is a clear white
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
24Hr pH study and Endoscopy will be diagnostic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have carefully read your query, understand your concern ,and would like to clarify the same.

As per your clinical history,your symptoms largely suggest "GASROESOPHAGEL REFLUX DISEASE-GERD" which is caused due to regurgitation of stomach acid back into food pipe leading to so called acidic throat and bloating sensation. This condition can be diagnosed with the help of 24 hour pH study and an upper GI endoscopy. I treat this condition with drugs called proton pump inhibitors example Pantoprazole.

Regarding the white tongue, it is most likely to be a fungal infection called Oral Candidiasis or Thrush. The cause is most likely antibiotic usage. I will start flucanazole 150mg to help it clear faster.

Besides insect bites, other condition that I would consider to explain the rash is drug induced (antibiotic) rash. If the rashes spread further, you may need to change antibiotics. In the meanwhile, I would start you on antihistaminics like Levocetrizine.

Weakness in knees and white nails may be part of infection. However I would order complete blood counts to rule out anemia in this case.

In short, multiple symptoms that you describe may be linked to each other. I suggest you visit your treating doctor and discuss about my opinions. If they feel it appropriate, the aforementioned drugs should be started.

I hope and wish this info is quite useful and convincing to you.
Kindly rate my answer as a means of your valuable feedback.
Thank you,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
thank you very much and thank you for taking the time out of your day to read and answer my concerns
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
kindly rate my answer

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari