• question-icon

What are the repercussions of overdosing on iodine?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: This question might be for a doctor that specializes in thyroids. I went to a natural doctor last week and he told me to take iodine. I miss understood him on how much to take. The product I used I bought from Sprouts and it was called Eidon Liquid iodine (potassium iodide) and 2 drops equal 225mcg. I ended up taking 75 drops on Tuesday evening and 150 drops on Wednesday morning and then stopped taking it. Wednesday afternoon I started to feel sick with a heat feeling in my face, flushing and itching. My temperature was always between 97.2 and 97.8. I started to feel better Saturday. I am a 43 year old male with no health problems except acid reflux. I do not smoke or drink. I am 5'10" and 165 pounds. I was wondering if I should be concerned about permanent damage to my internal organs/body?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Iodine

Detailed Answer:
There is a chance of this affecting your thyroid. This may be temporary or permanent.
With high doses of iodine such as this, initially it is likely to block the thyroid hormone production from your thyroid gland. This effect typically lasts for a few weeks.
In most cases, it does not reflect in the blood test ie the under-activity of the thyroid does not raise the TSH blood test result.
TSH is an indicator of thyroid function.
I would still recommend you have it checked along with your Free T4 in 6 weeks

Then in some instances, the thyroid feeds off the extra iodine load after several weeks of storing it. Iodine serves as a raw material for the 'manufacturing' of thyroid hormone.
So it is possible you may experience symptoms of 'hyperthyroidism' ie too much thyroid hormone in your blood.
The best way to detect this is again through the same blood test as above. This can be done at around 3 months or depending on when symptoms occur.

It will be most helpful for you to see an endocrinologist to guide you through this process.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
Free T4
Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 27 minutes later
So this could be permenant where I might need to be on medication the rest of my life? And I could have a thyroid disorder the rest of my life?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible

Detailed Answer:
While it is not as if you are destined to have permanent damage, it is a possibility. There is no way to predict the outcome in your case individually. Various potential results occur from person to person.
The only thing one can do about this is to monitor thyroid function periodically via blood tests and follow up with a thyroid expert regularly to see where your thyroid is headed.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
Should I be concerned about other organs or area's of my body?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Second follow up

Detailed Answer:
No
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist