Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What are the other tests to confirm pregnancy after having inconclusive urine test?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5970 Questions
Hi Doctor. I'm a 28 yr old and married. Its been 2 years since marriage. Planning for pregnancy since 4 months and I always had periods regularly (30 days). Last month there was a postponement in my periods by 7 days (had periods on 14th Nov), but the urine pregnancy test was -ve. This month my periods is again postponed by 6 days and no sign of periods yet. I did a urine test twice this week. Both time, I saw a purple line next to the control on the urine test device, but not as dark as the control. I'm now confused and not sure of the next steps. I want to confirm that I have conceived. In addition to above, I also have occasional pain below the naval region. Please advise on further action and cautions that I need to take from now on. Thanks
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: PELVIC USG AND INVESTIGATIONS TO BE DONE. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. As your urine pregnancy tests are inconclusive, you now have two options to confirm pregnancy 1. A blood B HCG test, which is very reliable and accurate. 2. A pelvic ultrasound scan, which will also reveal an early pregnancy. You should go for the pelvic ultrasound scan for 3 reasons - 1. You need to confirm a pregnancy 2. You need to know the reason for delayed periods if there is no pregnancy detected 3. You need help in conception also. Apart from pregnancy, conditions such as stress, anxiety, recent weight gain, ingestion of hormonal medication, travelling, change in your diet or sleep - all these can delay cycles. Polycystic ovarian syndrome, hypothyroidism, endometrial hyperplasia - all these disorders too can cause menstrual irregularities. Since you need help in conception also - please consult a gynecologist and go for 1. Pelvic ultrasound scan 2. Hormone levels - FSH, LH, AMH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, Lipid profile, DHEAS, free testosterone. Take regular folic acid tablets. Maintain an ideal weight and avoid stress. Continue naturally for another 6 months ( try to have intercourse around days of ovulation ) and if you fail, then further investigations should be done, such as - 1. Husband semen analysis 2. Follicular monitoring to confirm ovulation. 3. Laparoscopy to evaluate fallopian tubes. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor