How can severe arm and shoulder pain be managed during pregnancy?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved to right hand. Even my right knee, ankle and thighs have started to pain. I have applied pain ointments , applied heat still nothing is working. As suggested by my gynoe i had crocin 500mg. Still no use... the pain is unbearable and i cant sleep at night. I am having folic acid 5mg, calcium tablet and duphaston. What to do?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start with ibuprofen.

Detailed Answer:
The shooting pains in the limbs that you have can be related to low levels of calcium and vitamin D3 or due to the effect of hormonal changes during pregnancy. You need a stronger pain killer like ibuprofen after meals thrice a day along with double the dose of calcium to deal with these pains. Do consult your gynecologist and get your levels checked and get proper supplements prescribed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal