• question-icon

Wha causes diarrhea and constipation?

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Colon Cancer
Question: After I recovered from pneumonia, I was diagnosed with IBS (possibly related to antibiotics) about 6 months ago. I visited a gastro-specialist who prescribed some medicines that had some affect.

However, the symptoms didn't really disappear and I went to another doctor. Symptoms fluctuate- diarreah or rather just loose stools- sometimes constipation. Irritation by acidy foods like citric acid in tomato sauce. Some epigastric pain that has most disappeared and some indigestion. Nowadays, I sometimes had floating (but formed) stools. I do not see any oil in stools, but sometimes they are difficult to wipe. (messy) I now go to the bathroom between 1-3 times a day- and fluctuation of different stool types. In general, my stools are a bit darker than usual, but not consistently. They are sometimes darker brown, but never black. Usually they are medium brown though. I go through bouts of undigested vegetable matter. The floating stools (happened about 4-6 times total) worry me most. They often have tiny gas bubbles in them, but are formed. I often have gas and stomach rumbling. Sometimes I have lower stomach pain, not localized. I am worried I have been misdiagnosed.

My doctor ordered colonoscopy, upper-endoscopy, and stool tests ( occult blood, c dif, and parasites) All were 100% OK. My doctor said floating stools and epigastric pain sometimes are nothing to worry about as I am young (32) and tests seemed okay. I sometimes am a bit fatigued, but I am also out of shape and working and studying a lot. Is it really IBS or should I be worried about gallstones, pancreaitis, celiac, or something else?

Floating stools are my biggest worry. They have happened several times this week.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be Idiopathic collitis

Detailed Answer:
Dear weretheone,
Having gone through your history I would have also suggested yo to go for colonoscopy. Since it is already done and found perfectly OK with no fat or occult blood in the stools. it seems it is only IBS.
What I advise you, you need to undergo stool compact formation therapy. This is possible taking 2 to 3 spoons of husk of Isphagol at bed time along with 1/2 glass of water.this is freely available in over the counter drug stores or Grocery shops. Following this for a period of 1 to 2 weeks there will be compact stool formation. I am hopeful this will redress your complaint.

Please watch your diet if any food aggravates your problem. If yes avoid it.
Truly,
Dr. J. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Jawahar Ticku 42 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your advice.

Actually, my stool was never tested for fat. (It was only tested for c dif, parasites, and occult blood) as well as colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. Do you suggest a fat test? My floating stools are formed- with many gas bubbles. When I have diarreah, it does not float (though there are often gas bubbles).

My doctor mentioned that if I had gallstone or pancreatic problems, I would be in severe pain. Is this strictly true? I have lower left pain very mild and sometimes heart burn pain (also mild). My stool colors are brown- never yellow or white. Would you recommend further tests or is IBS seem likely?

I will try your method to compact stools...
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
IDIOPATHIC COLITIS

Detailed Answer:
Dear,

Thanks for reverting.

You may undergo fecal fat analysis. Pancreatic or gall stones could be silent or symptom producing depending upon their location. At any time they will give rise to shooting pain or there will be sudden appearance of jaundice. Apparently you are having none of these problems. Serum Amylase is the other analytic test for Pancreatitis.

I am sure if you follow the advice suggested earlier your problem will be redressed.

I may add if you are smoker or addicted to any other vice please start avoiding it and reduce or best avoid red meat.

Truly,
DR. J.TICKU

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Jawahar Ticku

Oncologist