What causes fatigue, chest tightness and cough while on Amoxicillin for chest infection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I have been told I have a chest infection I was given a dose of amoxycillian. Iam on day 5 is the course and have a tight chest, random coughing and general fatigue. Is that normal ?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, some degree of fatigue, chest tightness and coughing are common during pneumonia course.
So no need to worry much for these symptoms.
It is good that you are not having fever and worsening cough.
Please let me know
1. Do you have fever or worsening cough?
2. Do you smoke?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: What causes fatigue, chest tightness and cough while on Amoxicillin for chest infection? 3 hours later
That’s good to hear.
No my coughing hasn’t worsened it has come back though and I did have a fever and have been very nauseous today. Still struggling to talk without becoming totally breathless.iam sure that’s all normal.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, this is not normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
If you are having fever and started coughing with breathlessness then it is not normal.
In my opinion, you should definitely consult pulmonologist and get done repeat chest x ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Chest x ray is needed to rule out worsening of pneumonia.
PFT is needed to rule out bronchitis.
You may need higher antibiotic and inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol).
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.