Suggest treatment for persistent cough in a child

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Doctor,

My daughter is 2.5yrs old and is having persistent cough.
She coughs every hour or so for few seconds and then it atops and she coughs every night around 3 or 4 am. We are giving her tixylix.

Can you please suggest the treatment

Thanks
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and it would be right to continue with Tixylix.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 40 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Nebulization with normal saline would serve the same purpose.

Please be patient. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for persistent cough in a child 13 hours later
Thanks Doctor,

Tixylix and stram inhalation is going on since 10 days and its not helping.

I will request if you can change the medicine.

There is lot of cough in her chest.

Thanks!!

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a chest X ray done

Detailed Answer:
Try giving Syr. Ascoril LS 2.5 ml thrice daily for the next few days. Continue steam inhalation. Get a chest X ray done and upload the report (if possible an image of the plate as well).