Suggest treatment for persistent cough in a child
My daughter is 2.5yrs old and is having persistent cough.
She coughs every hour or so for few seconds and then it atops and she coughs every night around 3 or 4 am. We are giving her tixylix.
Can you please suggest the treatment
Steam inhalation should help
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and it would be right to continue with Tixylix.
If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 40 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.
You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Nebulization with normal saline would serve the same purpose.
Please be patient. Let me know if I could help further.
Tixylix and stram inhalation is going on since 10 days and its not helping.
I will request if you can change the medicine.
There is lot of cough in her chest.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Persistent cough mucus for 4 months treatment
- Persistent cough after cold treatment
- Suggest treatment for severe persistent cough
- Suggest treatment for persistent cough despite taking antibiotics
- Treatment and cure for persistant cough
- What is the cause for persistent cough in child
- Persistent cough with heart palpitations
- Persistent coughing in cold weather
- Pain in the calf and persistent cough
- Suggest treatment for persistent cough
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever