Took Xanax for a week. How long will it show up on comprehensive drug screen?

Dr. S. Jegadeesan

Posted on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Please help with frame time. my boyfriend took Xanax for week straight he took about 40 1 mgs. How long will it show up on a comprehensive drug screen? They have been out of his system for 7 days 168 hours. could he pass the test if he took tomorrow?
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXX,
Thanks for your query,

Your boy friend has taken 40 tab, of Xanax 1 mg. It is a short acting benzodiazepine otherwise called as Alprazolam. As per your statement, it seems that your boyfriend is on treatment for the last 7 days.

Alprazolam is mainly excreted through urine.

The half-life of Alprazolam is 16 to 17 hrs. (For alcoholic and obese individual it is a little prolonged). So blood test (comprehensive drug screen) after 7 days may not reveal the presence of the drug. He will pass the test if done tomorrow.

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. S. Jegadeesan 10 hours later
Thank you so much for your information. Its a urine comprehensive drug screen. I apologize for not putting that in my first question. I noticed you said it is mainly excreted through the urine. today is 8 days and 192 hrs. Is he still ok to take the drug screen? I hope you get back to me soon as you can. The labs close at 4 here in NY and I would like for him to go today as he needs to have the test done. Thank you so much! I will DEFINTELY come back again.
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 53 minutes later

Thanks for your followup query.

The drug is mainly excreted through the urine. I can also add that 90% is excreted through the urine.

Any drug absorbed from the intestine to blood it goes to liver, where it is directed to the destination of action. Then comes Half life which refer to any period of time in which a quantity falls by half and during that period the reduction is constant, similarly its action also. After its action it is excreted through various sources like urine, motion, exhaled air and perspiration etc.

Alprazolam's main way of excretion is urine.

The timetable for detecting alprazolam in the system is also dependent upon each individual's metabolism, body mass, age, hydration level, physical activity, health conditions and other factors, making it almost impossible to determine an exact time alprazolam will show up on a drug test.

The following is the approximate days:
Urine Test: 1-6 wks, Blood Test: 6-48 hrs, Saliva Test: 1-10 days
Hair Follicle drug test by 90 days.
So better to avoid urine comprehensive drug screen.

I hope you understand.
Best wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T