Suggest treatment for viral infection

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dear Doctor, I have got viral fever since last Monday. I am on Taxim O 200 and Hifenac p. Now my parents also got viral fever and the entire family is kind of bedridden. The doctor advised the same medicines for them as well. As it is more than a week now and I am on leave it will be great if you can please help me to cure my family ASAP. I can be reached at YYYY@YYYY .. Or 0000.
Dengue, Typhoid, Malaria are ruled out by blood test. LFT is also normal.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Virals are contagious

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand from your query that you and your family have viral infection. You are taking antibiotic and fever medicine for it.

Antibiotics are not effective in a viral. But I need more details about your symptoms so that I am better able to help. Do you have sore throat? What symptoms you have exactly?

Waiting for your response.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Dear Doctor, I am having sore throat, runny /congested nose , cough with some amount of sputum, Fever up to 100 degrees in-spite of medicines, body ache, joint pain, nausea, occasional vomiting (took eno and pan 40) , loose stools, lack of appetite.

The main thing which is worrying me is that it is around 10 days since I got fever. My parents are still running high on fever and are on similar medication. Is there a chance that I will again get fever from them. If so how can we prevent falling into that.

I am working from home today. Is it advisable to go to office before being completely cured? Is it still contagious..

Thanks and Regards,

XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Seasonal flu

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It seems like seasonal flu and will take some to get better. It is usually more long lasting and severe than common cold and other virals.

It will be contagious until your symptoms disappear. It is advisable not to go to workplace or any other public place. Once you get it, you will not get it again for this season. You develop immunity for atleast one season.

The treatment is mostly symptomatic.
For sore throat and congestion you can try antiallergic medicines like cetirizine once daily till congestion is better. It is better taken before sleeping. For fever, paracetamol is good. If despite paracetamol you have body aches and headaches, you can take ibuprofen with it. Paracetamol dose is 500 mg 4 times a day. Ibuprofen dose is 200 mg twice a day.

For nausea and vomiting you can take ondansetron tablet or syrup as and when needed.

Same treatment applies to your family members (if they have the same symptoms).

Dr Vaishalee