What does this X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi ,

My brother in law today diagnosed with below ( in his Xray )

Left costo-phrenic angle hazy
Rest of the lung field is clear
Bany cage appear unremarkable
dorsal spine is normal

Impression : LEFT SIDED PLEURAL EFFUSION

Pl help me with the exact disease & bet available treatment in XXXXXXX ! is there any best treatment available around XXXXXXX ? Otherwise we are ok for any option available through out country .

Many Thanks XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry much. It is easily treatable.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
First of all don't panic.
I have gone through the images you have attached.
It is easily treatable condition.
In XXXXXXX you can consult Pulmonary medicine department of XXXXXXX hospital or VP chest institute.
He should get done ultrasound examination of chest and CT thorax.
This will help in diagnosis the cause of his pleural effusion.
Possibility of either tubercular or pneumonia related effusion is more likely.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 16 minutes later
sir thanks for your reply . XXXXXXX is not easy to get through , any other hospital you suggest ? Also he is based out of XXXXXXX , not sure if this can be treated there ? pl suggest any private hospital in XXXXXXX or XXXXXXX .
kindly also check the prescription by Doctor in XXXXXXX if the medicines prescribed are ok .

thanks
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, this prescription is not correct.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.

I have gone through the prescription.
This is incorrect prescription for tuberculosis.
And first of all confirm the diagnosis then start treatment.
Don't start anti tubercular drugs without confirmation.

Please let me know
1. What are his symptoms?
2. Since how may days he is suffering?
3. Is XXXXXXX hospital feasible too him?

Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further.

Wishing good health to your brother in law. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 43 minutes later
Many Thanks for your prompt revert !

Symptoms
For last 2 months experiencing sound while taking deep breath , not observed during normal breathing

For last 12 days approx
Mild fever (99-100) , body ache , weakness
Shivering while riding
Long cough tags ( Khansi )

Yes XXXXXXX is ok if fortnight or monthly visit is required ! Daily / weekly doctor visits not convenient .

Look further to your advice

Many Thanks XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, monthly visit is sufficient.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
In XXXXXXX he can visit Medanta Medicity or global hospital.
If it is pneumonia related then it will be cured in 2-3 weeks.
If it is tubercular then monthly follow up is needed.
Please make sure that his drugs are according to his weight.
Does he have weight loss and low appetite?
Does he have any previous history of tuberculosis or pneumonia?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your brother in law. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 45 minutes later
Thanks Doctor !

his height is 5 ft 10 inch , weight is 82 Kg
No weight loss & No low appetite of late
No known history for TB & Pneumonia

Blood Test - ESR is 16 ( attached reports for reference )

Great if you can suggest doctors name in Medanta ! Do you have some reference for Pulmonologiast in XXXXXXX ?

Look further to your revert .
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to start drugs according to weight.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Sorry for late reply as I was busy.
I am practicing in XXXXXXX so I have a no idea about pulmonologist there in Medanta or Global.
You can directly go there and meet pulmonologist and discuss these.
If you wish I can guide you about exact dosing of drugs according to his weight (82 kg).
I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your brother in law. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 days later
hello doctor ,

today we got test result of TB , attached is report & last prescription by new doctor in XXXXXXX

pl help in identifying if it confirmed TB or some other chance ?

do you think it needs a consultation at Medanta Medcity ?

kindly guide accordingly ..

thanks
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
His prescription does not have anti tubercular drugs.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the reports you have attached.
All the reports are normal.
Prescription from XXXXXXX doctor is not having any anti tubercular drugs.
So I think he is not suspecting tuberculosis.
Can you please send me x ray image?
Have you discussed about possibility of TB with XXXXXXX doctor?