Suggest treatment for tiny red dots on skin around hair follicles

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i get tiny red dots on skin around hairfo;llicle surrounded by pale haloe no itching or pain few foci are irregular and largr later disappear leaving white spot
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antimicobials both topical and systemic are used.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have carefully read your query and understand your your concern.

As per your symptoms,tiny follicles of varied sizes around the hair follicles suggest an "INFLAMMATORY FOLLICULITIS".

It could either be a bacterial or a fungal infection.

Pale halo without pain or itching could be n healing stage of bacterial folliculitis or an early stage of fungal folliculitis.

Mild cases can be treated with antibacterial skin washes like benzoyl peroxide and clorhexidine.

Holistic approach includes soaking the affected parts in a tub of diluted white vinegar with water taken in ratio 4:1.

Moderate cases can be treated with topical application of clindamycin or metronidazole with/out oral twice daily antibiotics like doxycycline or ciprofloxacin.

Fungal or yeast folliculitis can be treated with ketoconazole shampoo twice a week.

Resistant fungi can be treated with topical lotions/shampoos of miconazole or terbinafine with/out oral tab flucanazole.

Consult your doctor regarding the nature of these drugs.

Above all, a high degree of hygiene is needed to prevent such infections on the hairy skin.

I hope this info is quite helpful to you.
wish you a good health.
thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj