• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe chest pain and anxiety

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My wife has bought a of extreme chest pain that feel like a heart attack, she first thought they were panic attacks but but the medication she's on for anxiety is having no effect on her. These attacks last for 4-10 minutes and make it so she can't breathe, and almost puke. They feel like her ribs are crushing into her solar plexus. Could this be more heart disease/angina then what I believe is a misdiagnosis with anxiety? What should we do to find out?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HealthcareMagic!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that her chest pain is not typical of a cardiac disorder.

A musculoskeletal pain or a nerve pain (probably related to cervical spine degenerations).

Anyway, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate the possible causes:

- chest X-ray study
- a cervical spine x-ray study
- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
- a cardiac ultrasound
- PCR and ESR for inflammation.

A cardiac stress test would help to completely exclude a cardiac issue.

A nerve conduction study coupled with a cervical spine CT scan if suspicion of nerve pain are raised.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Thank you doctor. Would that explain the feeling of her chest crushing inwards during these episodes?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Nerve pain is usually like electric shock.

While musculoskeletal pain can be different types : shooting type, persistent tightness, etc.

The cardiac pain is usually related to the physical exertion, like tightness and is relieved by resting.

Anxiety could also mimic all this clinical scenario.

Anyway, I recommend performing the above mentioned tests.

If all the tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of her complaints.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist