Are bleeding gums indicative of heart issues?
I have had some wisdom tooth pain and went to doctor, he advised me to use hydrogen preoxide one week and lets try the infection go. He took xray of wisdom tooth and said all other looks good. He further said as I have never been to dentist in past, he would take full mouth xray bitwise. I also told me I have some blood come and go from front lower teeth gum, epically in morning since two years.
He said these are generally call gum bleeding. He further added Teeth problem can cause heart attack also as same infected blood keeps on going in heart and as I have been having blood from front teeth sometime come for two years, I would get heart attack soon as by this time heart would have damaged.
Could you please guide me for two things
1. Is it true as since two years I have blood come and go from front gum teeth, my heart would have damaged by now. Is it irreversible damage? I have never had any pain in two years from that front teeth. Its only like when I wake up in morning I can blood from that Or when I chew something hard from that, blood come out. But as soon as do mouth wash with water it will be gone for rest of day. What are the chances of me to get heart attack.
He referred me to CT Scan heart to rule out damage from two years tooth blood.
2. Are dental xray safe. Dentist told me xray would give only same radiation I would have got from day light. But Daylight is not concentrated at one point it is scattered and throughout the day. So how would xray having pointing at single instant to one body part would be same. Are xray safe. ?? I have read they can cause throat and Brain cancers too. Please guide me.
gum infection, teeth cleaning, nothing to worry about heart disease
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query. As far as the pain in the wisdom tooth is concerned, it can be because of the gum infection around the wisdom tooth. Nothing to be panic, if I am your treating doctor I would have suggested you to take topical antibiotics like metronidazole and topical analgesics like choline salicylate. Do not use hydrogen peroxide rather you can use warm salt water to gargle.
Regarding the bleeding from gums, it can be because of the gum infection secondary to deposits over the teeth. So you need to get the teeth cleaned. You don't have to worry about the heart disease. Bleeding gums is common feature in gum infection. So first you get your teeth cleaned, everything will be fine.
Heart attack cannot happen secondary to bleeding gums. There are chances of spread of infection from Oral cavity to heart in patients who have stents or pace makers(patients who have already have cardiac Diseases are more prone for the spread of infection from oral cavity to heart but not in normal individuals)
Regarding the XRAYS, there is lot of difference between regular sun rays and XRAYS in wavelength. The penetrating power of XRAYS is higher than the sunlight. The XRAYS do result in cancer of various parts of the body. But the XRAYS what we use to diagnose the disease has very minimal effect on the body that will not cause any damage to your body upto certain level.
CT of heart will not help you to diagnose your heart damage. Without any cardiac disease symptoms a person cannot advise CT scan.
You have to visit a good oral physician and get yourself examined properly and get the teeth cleaned first. If possible upload the images of the teeth and gums so that I can give you better diagnosis and treatment plan.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. Take care.
As per your guidance can i allow him to take full mouth xray.
I was worried about xray as there were do many articles, i see on health magazine these days where it was saying dental xray may cause thyroid cancer and Brain cancer as full head is expose to that.
and how frequently should we do dental xrays. Please advice.
You can get the XRAY(radiograph) done, upload the images
Thanks for your reply and concern about radiation exposure.
You can get the XRAYS (radiographs) done. The exposure is very minimal. For your thyroid gland to get affected by the harmful effects of XRAYS you need to get exposed 250times in a day if you are going for single tooth radiograph(intra oral periapical radiographs). If you are taking full jaw XRAYS (orthopantomograph) then you need to get 8 to 10 time for you to get affected from harmful effects of XRAYS.
You can avoid all these adverse effect by taking precautions like wearing lead apron while taking XRAYS that will protect you from radiation exposure. Nothing to worry you can get the XRAYS done upload the images so that I can give you the exact diagnosis and treatment plan.
I hope I have answered your question. if you have any queries reply me back. Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for painful gums
- Suggest treatment for pain in gums
- What causes discomfort in upper back tooth?
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and sore swollen tongue
- What does a bulish purple spot on bottom lip indicate?
- Does gum grow back after a dental implant is placed?
- What causes feeling of cigarette smoke smell stuck in nose?
- What causes dry mouth, inflamed tongue and sore cheek?
- What causes pain in teeth while chewing?
- When can a child start wearing braces?