Is atherosclerosis detected in a CT scan a cause for concern?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: A cat scan for the lungs revealed atherosclerosis of the great vessels, aorta and coronary arteries. Aorta and pulmonary arteries are normal in caliber. Heart and and pericardium are within normal limits. There are no
significant mediastinal or gross hilar nodes.
73 year old white males.
What do you suggest I do.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for angiogram.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query sir,

As CT is suggetive of Atherosclerosis you should go for a check angiogram to rule out percentage of blockage in coronary vessels.If blockage are critical more then 75% in major coronary artery then to prevent future myocardial infarction risk(Heart attack) stents would be deployed in respective vessels.
In the same way angio aortogram would be done to see if aorta is critically narrowed and a stent would be deployed accordingly.

Of blockage is less then 75% then you would be treated medically.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D