Do systolic levels of 228 require medical attention?
I would recommend as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
Regarding your concern, I would explain that his blood pressure values are really high.
Considering also his age, he may be at risk for a cerebral hemorrhage or a heart attack.
For this reason, I recommend bringing him as soon as possible at the ER for a careful physical exam, a resting ECG, a brain CT scan and some blood lab tests.
Meanwhile, I would recommend putting a tablet Captopril under his tongue.
What is his actual therapy? If you do not have Captopril at home, then you should give him one tablet from his usual anti-hyperntensive therapy.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
Let me know about everything!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Systolic pressure 127
- Drugs/medication for isolated systolic hypertension
- Need medical information about congenital condition called extra systole
- Drugs/medication for systolic hypertension
- Drugs/medication for Systolic heart murmur
- Systolic blood pressure
- Drugs/medication for systolic heart failure
- Drugs/medication for systolic dysfunction
- Drugs/medication for lv systolic dysfunction
- Systolic 131
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?