Do systolic levels of 228 require medical attention?

Cardiologist
Question
My father is 91 and his systolic is 228. Don't know the other number. Should I worry?
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that his blood pressure values are really high.

Considering also his age, he may be at risk for a cerebral hemorrhage or a heart attack.

For this reason, I recommend bringing him as soon as possible at the ER for a careful physical exam, a resting ECG, a brain CT scan and some blood lab tests.

Meanwhile, I would recommend putting a tablet Captopril under his tongue.

What is his actual therapy? If you do not have Captopril at home, then you should give him one tablet from his usual anti-hyperntensive therapy.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Let me know about everything!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri