Suggest treatment for postherpetic neuralgia symptoms

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was diagnosed with XXXXXXX Hunt 25 years ago. For several years i did alright( i have an underlying herplex simplex with breakouts usually one spot on my bottom and occ on lips.) I had a second flare up 5years ago and since then have recurring rounds usually every few weeks and it only effects the left side of my body anywhere between head,face,jaw to midsection, or groin area and pain radiates down left leg to feet. Everything I've read re: XXXXXXX Hunt says nothing about recurring cylcles or effecting any other part except the head region. Could something else be causing these symptoms other than the Ramsay?
I went the route of taking valtrex along with prenisone when these occurred but am leary of continuing these drugs long term. What can you advise?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please clarify certain issues

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can certainly understand your concerns.

I can guide you better if you can provide me the following info.

Are you currently experiencing herpes simplex outbreaks?

Are you currently taking valtrex for HS outbreak.

Is the recent recurrence of the XXXXXXX hunt syndrome 5yrs ago ?

I will guide you thoroughly if you can update me these answers.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 1 hour later
Yes, I am currently experiencing another outbreak..about 7 days in.
I am not taking valtrex at the present time, however i am using Angstrom professional silver 1tsp 2x a day oraly and topically on painful areas of body and on a qtip in the ear. The angstrom seems to help soothe the painful areas and internally helps outbreaks to not be so severe. It's not sapping calcium from my body like prednisone has done . Most recent severe outbreak with the XXXXXXX was five years ago this month. Went to my new Dr. today and he seems to think this is not true XXXXXXX but herpes simplex because he cannot see any lesions of shingles on outside of body, but believe me the pain is there localized mostly to my face, jaw,ear, face still tingling. All the symptoms are on the left side of my body and seem to travel or rotate to various parts on left side outbreak to outbreak. always lasting at least 3weeks in which ever part is affected. The Dr. seems to feel all is related to the herpes simplex and fibromyalgia. He is putting me on Gabapentin 300 mg 2x a day for next 30 days to see if this helps with the nerve pain. Leading up to the outbreaks I have at least one whole week of extreme fatique, then intense cravings for chocolate and sometimes peanutbutter(weird, right? almost like pms) then i will have itching and then the pain along with tightness in face etc. i had a complete hysterectomy 17 years ago this month, so def not pms.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Post herpetic neuralgia? Gabapentin is the right choice

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can certainly understand your concern.

I apologize for the delayed response owing to my hectic work schedule.

The current symptoms which you are constanly experiencing are related to a condition known as Post herpetic neuralgia.

This can particularly affect specific segments of your body only.

It is due to periodic reactivation of herpes zoster virus in the body.

The current condition is neither a XXXXXXX hunt syndrome nor a direct heroes simplex lesion.

Your doctor has correctly prescribed Gabapentin for 30 days.

Post herpetic neuralgia is known to cause intense pain flares and they respond pretty well to Gabapentin.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 24 minutes later
Thank you very much for answering. As you can well imagine...The frequency of the flare ups and not knowing has been driving me nuts. Any way to slow these down????? This is permanent isn't it?

At this point...would getting the shingles vaccine be to my benefit???
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The Vaccine can be of greatest benefit in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

Yes, definitely a live viral vaccine is effective against the prevention of subsequent flares and morbidity against pain.

Recently US FDA approved a vaccine for above 50 yr age group(earlier indicated for >60y only) a live viral vaccine called Zostavax.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe it to you.

This is the only way to prevent future attacks of Shingles.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 30 minutes later
Again, thank you so much for your input and I will certainly pass along to my physician.

This is such a great service....

Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

Thank you.

My best wishes to you.