Suggest treatment for persistent gas build up in stomach

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Gas builds up in my stomach throughout the day, often feeling like a pocket of air in my esophogas. In the middle of the night, I'll get reflux with acid backup. Very unpleasant. I've learned about foods to avoid. Should I try one of those 24 hour gas prevention pills, like Nexium? Thanks so much! YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes. that tablet might help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Acid reflux in night and air retaining in stomach that means you are also having problem like excessive burping I guess.
However though you have learned about food stuffs that you should avoid which is a good thing. Still few advices from me as following-
1. Eat and chew your food slowly. Eating fast cause swallowing of large amount of air causing excessive gas and belching also.
2. Avoid aerated drinks, artificial sweeteners and chewing gums.
3. Do not have dinner after 9pm. You should have atleast a gap of 2 hours between dinner and you sleeping time. Immediately sleeping after having food will cause regurgitation and the problems you specified.
4. Do not recline immediately after food. Sit up for atleast half hour after your dinner.
5. As you already might know that better to avoid spicy food as it irritates stomach mucosa causing reflux.
6. You can take Nexium 40mg ½hr before food in morning and same before food. Its efficacy is best empty stomach only. Do not take with food or after food, and then it won’t be useful.
I hope I have answered your query well. If you have any more question kindly write back to me, will be happy to help you out.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 24 hours later
Hi Doctor -- your response was very informative and helpful. One follow-up: belching isn't part of my problem. I almost never belch. The gas just remains trapped. Usually, an unpleasant nightime reflux experience clears that up -- but there's gotta be a better way to get my body to release gas as it occurs.

I am wondering if the concurrent constipation I have from the hydrocodone (I am am completely off that today and never took much; I do still feel the effect) might play a part in the gas buildup?

Gas seems to be trapped on both ends! What do you think?

Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are absolutely right about hydrocodone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thanks for following up with me.
You are absolutely right mam in saying that hydrocodone causes constipation which might give rise to gassy stomach. As you have already stopped takin it from today you will be getting relief from the trouble.
Also in some of patients i have observed that even lisinopril can give rise to problem like bloating of stomach and causing gassy problem. So that also could be adding up to the problem.
But for now i would like to advice that as you have hold hydrocodone it will be better to observe for few days whether the problem resolves or not. If it doesn't we will need to think about lisinopril too.
Meanwhile you say that gas feels trapped and you do not have much of belching problem too.
Here I would like to give small advice here that you might increase intake of yogurt or curd in your diet. It will help you very well to decrease the problem of bloating.
I hope i have answered your query well.
If you have any more query kindly write back to me will be happy to answer them.
Thank you