Suggest treatment for low estradiol

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Estradiol level is a 25 but my FSH is a 6.8, my doctor is only repeating the fsh, why not both? 34 yrs old and total hysterectomy 6 yrs ago, ovaries intact
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ERROR MIGHT BE SUSPECTED, CAN REPEAT BOTH TOO

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
The estradiol level is already low, and probably you might be having peri - menopausal symptoms which tally with this level.
The FSH level should be high to fit in with this clinical picture, so your doctor might be repeating it, suspecting an error in the current reading.
Ideally both should be repeated, that makes sense too.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
He is taking the estradiol level as being low but said he has never seen anything like this since fsh is normal? Should i be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
NO CAUSE FOR CONCERN

Detailed Answer:
This scenario can sometimes happen.
WHen a woman approaches menopause, estrogen levels fall as ovarian function declines.
To cover this up, more FSH ( stimulating hormone ) is secreted by the brain.
Beyond a point, as the ovaries totally cease function, the FSH level persistently remains raised, but the estradiol is persistently low.
In early stages, the estradiol might be low, and the FSH would be on its way to increasing, so a repeat level might show elevated FSH, or it could be a simple lab error.
There is no cause for concern.
It would be better if you insisted that both estradiol and FSH be repeated, for more clarity.