Suggest treatment for kidney stones

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have kidney stone 5mm on my righr kidney from last 8 months and it is not dissolving. I dont have any pains but I would like to know what are the issues if it continues to stay and what medications I can take it to dissolve.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are no medicines that can dissolve the stone.

Detailed Answer:
Hllo
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted you have been detected to have a stone of size of 5 mm in your Right kidney since last 8 months and does not have a pain .

Majority of kidney stones (95%) except uric acid stones do not get dissolve at all .There are no medications that can dissolve the stone .

These stone either pass out through urine spontaneously or has to be removed or fragmented by intervention endoscopically depending upon the site of the stone ,size of the stone and back pressure changes in kidney or collecting system and severity of symptoms like pain etc .

Normally stone up to size of 8 mm can be expected to pass out spontaneously and dos not require any active intervention..

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and get following basic tests done
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Blood test to detect Serum Uric Acid levels

Ensure to drink more water to produce more urine this will help to pass out the stone spontaneously .

Take antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin or Nitrofurantoin twice daily if there is evidence of infection in urine detected on urine analysis.

Repeat Ultrasound Scanning very 2-3 months to assess the site and size of stone .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 29 hours later
Thanks for the detailed answer and I would consult urologist as suggested.
I have this stone from last 6 months. If it continuous to stay and doesn't dissolve, what issues will I have in my body.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There will not be any problem as long as stone is non obstructing

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Stone never gets dissolved .

Stone of a size of 5 mm is likely to pass out through urine spontaneously .It will not create any problem as long as it is non obstructing in nature .

Pain per say is never due to stone itself but it occurs only when stone gets impacted and causes obstruction to flow of urine causing back pressure on kidney .

Go on repeating Ultrasound Scanning every 2 months and when stone increases in size above 8 mm take a call for Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy(E.S.W.L.) a non invasive procedure to fragment stone in kidney itself.The fragments or powder that forms gets washed away with urine .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.