Are there any side effects of taking Cephalexin?

A friend of mine (62 yo, 5 9 & 220lbs) had a minor motorcycle accident about a month ago. He got an impact cut his shin (about 1/4 wide & 3 long), cleaned it & put neosporin on it. A few days later, it began to get infected. He used hot compresses on the wound, and realized the scrape went to the bone. He went to his doctor, who gave him a round of antibiotics (cephalexin). After three days, he started getting a fever and the start of a respiratory infection, so he went back & received another round of antibiotics (avelox) and sylvadine ointmentment. Last week, he went back to the doctor, and got yet another round of anitbiotics (ciprofloxacin hcl) and was told to also put comfrey poultices on it. The wound is now about 1 wide x 1.5 long. The bone is no longer exposed, but the wound is still open, infected & the area surrounding it is red, swollen & hot. He takes the antibiotics, and changes the dressings several times a day, cleaning it with betadine, then applying sylvadine & fresh dressings. He is having increasing trouble with the respiratory infection, with the doctor saying he has liquid in his lungs. Other information, he has severe breathing problems from previous work-related chemical exposure, several (probably associated) allergies (wheat, shellfish, etc.), and is prone to sinus & respiratory infections.
Thu, 1 Jul 2021

Cephalexin has a pretty good side effect profile. I've had some patients tell me it leaves a metallic taste in their mouth, but I haven't seen any serious side effects of any kind, except when someone develops an allergy. But that can happen with any antibiotic.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Gerald Lee, Internal Medicine Specialist