What causes pain and swelling in the lower eyelid along with pus discharge?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Bottom eye lids swollen, tender to the touch and when I blink. Skin under eye is swollen and pinkish in color. When bottom eye lids are pulled away there is puss in lining of the lids. Began about six days ago, some crusting in eye lashes upon waking up.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like an Eye sty.

Detailed Answer:

An eye sty (stye) is an infection of the eyelid, resulting from a blocked oil gland. These often filled with pus. A sty usually forms on the outside of your eyelid. But sometimes it can form on the inner part of your eyelid.

Treatment suggested-
Eye drop Ciprofloxacin 0.3% (eg. Ciplox) 2 drops thrice daily.
Eye ointment Tobramycin thrice daily.
Tab Cefixime 200 mg twice daily(antibiotic), you may need a prescription from your local doctor for these
Tab Diclofenac 50 mg twice daily after food(anti-inflammatory).

Take them for 5 days.
Wash the eye with cold water twice daily.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee