Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

199 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to treat an eye sty?

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1991

Answered : 238 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi Doctor

Please suggest what is this problem on eyes and how it can be cured.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its a sty of lower eyelid.

Detailed Answer:
Have seen the photo attached.
Its sty of eye.They are normally caused by a proliferation of natural bacterial flora within the eye. This causes an inflammatory reaction pain and swelling.Eyelids have lots of tiny oil glands, which can become clogged by dead skin, dirt, or oil buildup. When a gland is blocked, bacteria can grow inside. This is what causes a stye to develop.

Wash eye thrice a day.
Use eye ointment Tobramycin thrice over inflammed area.
Tablet Gatifloxacin 400 mg twice daily or any broad spectrum antibiotic available at chemist.
Tab Acelofenac 100 mg twice daily would help in inflammation.
Tab Allegra 180 mg once daily.
All are easily available in XXXXXXX
You would be fine in 3-5 days.
Keep eyes clean.
Don’t use kohal eyeliners etc.

Take care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor

He is taking these medicines ( i have attached the pics) doctor said this is due to lack of moisture in eyes. Can you please now suggest the final medicines.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow-up answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion, lack of moisture won't affect just lower eyelid.
Secondly, if lubrication is less there would be an ulcer in the cornea (white of the eye) not on the eyelid.

It is most likely a sty.
I'd suggest following the earlier suggestion only.

In case you don’t want to neglect your ophthalmic advice just add eye drop tear sol 2 drops twice daily. It contains methylcellulose a lubricant.

Take care!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Eye drop

doctor1 MD

my daughter have migraine problem,she always complain about headache, from last 4 month her right eye ball have redness which is not going we have shown to dr. also they prescribe so many different eye drops including mild steroid also but redness is still there.

doctor1 MD

hi,i have been diagnosed with mild epilepsy and was put on the tablet la*******,i cant remember the full name off top of my head,i began to have really itchy,inflamed eyes after a while,and my doc gave me antibiotic drops to treat,however my eyes became worse,and again after seeing doctor,he advised to stop taking epilepsy tabs,but to carry on with the eyedrops,however on a night i am feeling short of breath now,as if somebody is stood on my chest.advise if you can..

doctor1 MD

Hi I have a four month old son who had sticky eyes after birth and was given eye drops I used them for a a week or two and now his right eye is better and the left is getting better but it looks considerably smaller than the other. I stopped using them much beofre i started to notice the change. What could be causing this? Could it be the eye drops?

doctor1 MD

My 4 month old litt;e baby boy has an eye infection since birth. He has a green discharge from the eye and constant watering of the eye which is making the skin ont he side of his face very red and sore. He has had two courses of eye drops (antibiotics) which made no difference at all. Lately I noticed that the second eye is becoming infected. I am currently just washing it with sterile water and cotten wool as I have been from birth but still no improvement. Should I see the dr again?

doctor1 MD

Bottom eye lids swollen, tender to the touch and when I blink. Skin under eye is swollen and pinkish in color. When bottom eye lids are pulled away there is puss in lining of the lids. Began about six days ago, some crusting in eye lashes upon...

doctor1 MD

Hi,My 5yrs old son when ever he wakes up in the morning he cries saying that he is not able to see the sun light or light and starts rubbing his eyes.we also found that eyes swell up and find redness only at the time of wakes up and after a while...