What causes light sensitivity and redness in the eyes upon waking up?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi,My 5yrs old son when ever he wakes up in the morning he cries saying that he is not able to see the sun light or light and starts rubbing his eyes.we also found that eyes swell up and find redness only at the time of wakes up and after a while he will be normal and redness going away but redness prolongs on left eye.. Please advice
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kack pf proper lubrication.

Detailed Answer:
The most common reason for blurry defective vision after waking which get better in few minutes is lack of proper lubrication of eye while sleeping.Tears are lubricant of eye.
Second common cause would be eye allergies, or allergic conjunctivitis presenting with symptoms like itching, burning, watering, and redness of the eyes.
Rx
Eye drop Tear sol(Hydroxy methyl cellulose) 2 droprs thrice a day.
Tab Cetrizine 5 mg once daily(anti allergic)

Follow up in 5 days!
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D