Can Ciprofloxacin and Tamsulosin be taken to treat fever in an elderly patient?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: My husband, 85 yrs old, has experienced chills. The same problem as several times before when he had bladder infections. He takes 1 Ciprofloxacin every Wed and Sun as ordered by his urinary Dr. He also takes 1 Tamsulosin Hcl 0.4mg every day. His chills have subsided and he now has a temp of 101.1. Can I give him another of either of these. He's not sure what pills he took this morning

He has a history of bladder infections
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A full course for twice a day x 10 days advisable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Urinary tract infection is often encountered in people of his age. It is ok that his doctor has given him prophylactic antibiotic ciprofloxacin (twice weekly) but in case of indications of a definite infection episode as in this case, I would insist for a full course of antibiotics i.e. Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice weekly for 10-14 days. I would therefore insist you not only to give another dose, but to complete the course. Feel free to discuss with his treating physician.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D