Suggest treatment for jaundice and high SGPT and SGOT levels

Dr. S. Samanta

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi Doctor,

Six months back Jaundice is infected to me and it is cured.
I am doing regular tests LFT along with SGPT and SGOT.
After six months I found My SGPT and SGOT levels are increasing.
Test on 29-03-2015
Serum Billurubin
Total : 0.79
Direct : 0.23
Indirect : 0.56
SGPT : 42.2
SGOT : 36.0

Test on 01-04-2015
Serum Billurubin
Total : 0.81
Direct : 0.27
Indirect : 0.54
SGPT : 55.1
SGOT : 40.8

Test on 09-04-2015
Serum Billurubin
Total : 0.71
Direct : 0.37
Indirect : 0.34
SGPT : 88
SGOT : 52
At a time of final test Doctor wrote Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B also
Result : Nagative

Now can u pls say why my SGPT and SGOT is increasing day by day.
And what the thing I need to do to reduce those and Please suggest me a diet also.

Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. S. Samanta 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need few more tests and precautions!

Detailed Answer:
Hi! thanks for your health query!

Well, the disease that have relation with the increase of SGOT and SGPT are hepatitis (can be viral or non viral), fatty liver, gall stone, cholecystitis, malignancy, Alcoholic liver disease, Chronic viral hepatitis, Medication,
Autoimmune hepatitis, Celiac disease etc. all the disease can be figure out by seeing the symptom firstly.

SGOT is usually a marker for chronic liver disease. SGOT is an enzyme that located in heart muscle, smooth muscle, liver cells, etc. SGPT is usually as a marker for acute liver disease. SGPT only located in liver cells. So if the ratio of SGOT to SGPT is high (more than 1.5), we need pay attention that it can be chronic liver disease related to alcohol.

In your case I need more of your clinical symptoms and problems that you face; otherwise just take fat-free bland diets/plenty of fluids and do repeat test for HbsAg, HCV and also SMA / ANA serological tests.

regards,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. S. Samanta 25 minutes later

I did not have any habit of Alcohol and cigarette.
My age is 27 and My weight is 67 kg.
In this six months period Hepatitis A test has been done three times result for all the times is negative.

Doctor gave this medicine to me

Tab. Udiliv(300 mg) (Dose : Morning 1 and evening 1)
Tab. Silybon (140mg) (Dose : Morning 1 and evening 1)
Liv 52 tablets (Dose : Morning 2 and evening 2)

Is this medicines helps to reduce SGPT and SGOT levels?
If any extra medicine needed to add with this please suggest me the name.
Please suggest the diet also in clear.

Note : This is the final chance to follow up so please reply in clear to all my questions Diet is important.

Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. S. Samanta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Well then please follow the suggestions below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi! please follow my suggestions and give your feedback after one month:

1. take 6-8 small diets composed of mainly glucose, soft fat-free roti/chapattis/cereals/rice/fruits and also continue the medicines which are sufficient

2. avoid late nights, stress, fasting and junk foods

3. always take hot/warm foods not rewarmed or cold

4. I repeat that these medicines are really helpful and please continue these; no need to add anything else!

Hope this helps you!
Follow up: Dr. S. Samanta 58 minutes later

just asking you the medicine what the doctor suggested is fine or need to add any more? Just asking casually why because if any need I will take those also.
If any more needed please type a clear medicine name.
I won't disclose this discussion with doctor.
First my doubt is that medicine is correct one or not why I have this doubt is I am using that medicine from past four days but I am not feeling any change.
Medicine he gave to me :

Liv 52 tablets (Dose : Morning 2 and evening 2

Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. S. Samanta 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to add anything else!

Detailed Answer:
Hi! you have been prescribed some liver protective medicines, later two are mostly herbal or natural!

In fact your condition has no specific medicines and these are therefore given to stop any more disease progression.

This way I must say that yes, they are helpful and no need to add any more medicines right now; these medicines should take 15-21 days for any changes that you could feel; only four days use may not be sufficient.

Your main medicine is proper diet, fluids, rest and proper bowel movements/stool clearance...

regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj