Suggest treatment for irregular menstruation while having hyperthyroidism

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Last week we been to a GYN for irregular periods, we came to know my spouse has hyperthyroidism, TSH value - 6.36 (non - fasting). she is taking medications. But along with that, Can you suggest what need to be done to bring it down. How this need to be treated, is it critical. Need suggestion on Foods, Exercise and few more. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She need to be referred to an endocrinologist if TSH will not decrease

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query to Healthcare magic.

I have read your question and understand her health issue.

In fact TSH range is a little increased because it's normal range is 0.5-6 uU/ml 'but it's effect on her body vary from her signs and symptoms .

Meanwhile she is taking medications for a month TSH will decrease .
Hence she should wait and if it will decrease than she need to referred to an endocrinologist(specialist of body hormones)

There are no specific diets for hyperthyroidism but she should not eat vegetables from the cruciferae family are known goitrogens. They include brussels sprouts, broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, cabbage, XXXXXXX and more. In theory then, eating these vegetables would aggravate an underactive thyroid and should be largely avoided.

Hope I was helpful and please feel free for further discussion.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra,

Thanks for your reply. I thought it is a over reacting Thyroid and looking at few websites suggested to take cruciferae family veggies. I also uploaded the lab reports, Please clarify on this. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explanation is given below....

Detailed Answer:
Hi again!

Better is not to take cruciferae family veggies because they contain goitrogens .
Goitrogens are natural substances that can interfere with thyroid hormone production.
Because treatment for hyperthyroidism can lead to thyroid deficiencies -- a condition called hypothyroidism -- you may want to limit goitrogenic foods, particularly if you have an iodine deficiency.
But a specific diet should be prescribed from an endocrinologist .

I have seen her thyroid hormones report and TSH is increased but Free T4 is within range .
TSH is a central hormone and it is produced from pituitary gland .
Meanwhile Free T4 is a hormone produced from thyroid , this test is usually a good measure of thyroid function,because T4 reflects the amount of thyroxine in the blood.
Hence she should use treatment for a month prescribed from her doctor and if TSH will not decreased than she need to be referred to an endocrinologist.

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 22 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the information. I'm clear on my doubts.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Hi again!

I'm glad that you have clear all doubts .
You are welcome to HCM for every health issue you will have .

Best regards