How to determine ovulation dates while having irregular menstruation?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor. I have started getting irregular periods. Basically had a baby 8 months ago and i am not breastfeeding. Cycle was normal 28 day for 2 months then it was every 24-25 days past 2 months its been abit different. Last cycle i got them on day 34 and this cycle got them on day 18. I am currently on my period. I have stopped using contraception (was using condoms) i want to have another baby inshaaAllah. I als have underactive thyroid. But now with irregular periods when do i know when i will ovulate?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YOU NEED TO TEST YOUR THYROID HORMONE

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
I have gone through your question.
Are you having polycystic ovarian disease.?
If not get your Thyroid function test along with an ultrasound to rule out any abnormalities of ovaries and uterus causing this irregular periods..
Have you put on lot of weight?or on any other medications?
Feel free to ask your doubt with more details.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 48 minutes later
Hi last month i was suffering from pelvic pains they checked my uterus and checked ovaries there was no sign of anything And the pain was due to delayed periods. I am taking euthyrox 50. No i have not put on weight but maybe no exercise and abit of unhealthy food is causing it. I have started trying to eat healthy and im trying to have lots of vegetables and avacado maybe that will help. Im really scared about all this i hope all is good. How cAn i know when im ovulating to fall pregnant ? Would we just need to have intercourse every other day? And maybe inshaaAllah it might just work out
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not mentioned about TSH

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
You can use ovulation kits or follicular study to confirm ovulation.
If your periods are regular ovulation happens around 14 days prior to your next period.
If you are planning to conceive make sure that your TSH is normal and start taking folic acid.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 13 hours later
Hi thats fine i am taking folic acid. Should i go and test tsh? And then send u the results ? Is that good. My periods are irregular so when do i do ovulation testing?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
TSH test

Detailed Answer:

You need to repeat TSH every 6 months irrespective of pregnancy or periods to maintain thyroid function.

It's difficult to predict ovulation in an irregular cycle.
I'd suggest you get an ultrasound scan on the second day of your periods followed again on 8th and so on till ovulation happens.This is called follicular study.

That is the best way to track ovulation.
Hope my answer is helpful

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 27 hours later
Oh okay Would having intercourse every other day boost the chances
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
YES

Detailed Answer:
Hi
During ovulation you can have sex even daily.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 4 hours later
Is it true that having sex daily can reducd sperm count?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
IF HIS SEMEN ANALYSIS IS NORMAL IT WILL NOT DECREASE

Detailed Answer:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad