Suggest remedies for difficulty in conception

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor , I am 34 and my wife turned 33 a month ago. We got married an year ago. We are planning for a baby.She does not have any health issues as such. Her blood pressure goes low sometimes. Apart from that she is fit and very active. I have not had any surgeries or not going through any medication.We were not living together continuously till this XXXXXXX I travel frequently. We have been living together since XXXXXXX These days I am with my wife for 4 days and 4 nights in a week and will be away for the rest of the days. I was hoping that my wife will conceive but has not happened yet. Now, whatever you have read so far is the background . Coming to the question, I think there are 4 days in a month when she would ovulate and I think she can conceive only if I have sex during those four days. Please correct me if I am wrong. I think I am missing to have sex on those 4 days. I would like to know those four days. Please let me know as how I can calculate and be prepared.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to know more about her periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi
GREETINGS
I can understand your concern.
If your wife's period is regular ,say of 30 days interval she may ovulate around 13 to 16th day.We can always do a follicular study to know about the ovulation.
I suggest you to get your semen analysis first.If that is normal considering her age , get her thyroid and prolactin hormones tested .
If that is normal she can consult a gynaecologist and evaluate further for day 2 ultrasound scan to follow ip with ovulation in that cycle and timed intercourse can increase the chance of pregnancy.
Feel free to ask your doubts with more details.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vishesh Rohatgi
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 24 minutes later
Yes, her period is regular. its 30 days [it started on 10th of Sep and then again on 10 of October.] Do we consider start date to the next start date or how ? I masturbate often, i mean on an average every single day , could that be an issue here ? and when you say 13th to 16th days , is it 13 to 16 before the start of next cycle or how ? Thanks for your answers but I am feeling little tense after reading about all the test which you have suggested . Is conceiving so complicated because of my wife's age ? and to give you one more info, i am non smoker and very rarely consume alcohol .
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ovulation

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Ovulation in a regular cycles can happen 13th ,14 th
or 15th day before next periods.
I suggested all those tests because that is the primary way of fertilty evaluation.
Semen analysis can confirm your status.
similarly her tests.
Masterbation doesn't have any side effects.
Hope my answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 35 minutes later
Is my wife's age [33 years 1 month old ] a challenge for conceiving ?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not at all

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Her age is not a problem for conceiving.I suggested as a preliminary check up in view of her age comparing woman less than 30yrs.
Please consult a gynaecologist and get it done .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj