• question-icon

Suggest treatment for insect bite

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What is the best treatment for insect bites? I believe what I have are sand flea bites. I have put on cortozone cream, which is of little help. If I put on very hot water, it seem to sooth the areas temporally. Is there anything else I can do. They kept me from sleeping last night! Help!
my email address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information for sand flea bites

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. Shoemaker,

Yikes - this sound uncomfortable!

The first thing to do is check the bites to make sure that you do not have sand fleas burrowing under your skin. Sand fleas that are breeding can stay for weeks. If that is the situation, time to see the doctor.

You can try soaking in Aveeno oatmeal bath and using Benadryl cream or Aloe Vera gel on the area.

But you may need more than that. Consider taking an oral antihistamine for the itching. Zyrtec (generic is cetirizine and is less expensive) 10 mg at night would be a good choice. For skin problems, you can double the dose (or take it twice a day) but start with 1. Benadryl 25 - 50 mg every 6 hours is another option.

If they are painful, you can try Tylenol or Advil, if you tolerate these. If you use Advil (ibuprofen), only do so if you have no serious kidney problems or stomach issues, and take it after eating. If using Tylenol, do not drink alcohol or combine it with other products that have acetaminophen in them.

However, if none of that helps, it is time to see the doctor.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh