Suggest treatment for infection after surgery along with decrease in platelet count

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Sir,
My Father's name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Mandal. He is has heart right bundle branch block for nearabout 10 years and asthma for 20 years. He is taking Calaptin 40 thrice, Cloptab75, Atorvastatin Caat 40 and seroflo 250 inhaler and asthalin sos.
Recently about 2 mnth ago he suffered accident and got trochanteric fracture near right femur. He undergone Femur fixation by zimmer company plate . He has no complan about infection from that part.
About 4 days ago my father is suffering from throat infection with dry cough not of much important.. Doctor consulted and given Augmentin Duo 625 twice for 6days and Levokast for 6 days. But suddenly at prvious night my father got fever about 102 deg. and also at morning 100 deg. Again doctor called for safety. Blood test done and Found Total Count increased 13400 (normal 6000-10000)
Platelet count slightly decreased 1,40,000( normal 1,50,000-4,50,000).. Neutrophil 75% (40-80), lymphocytes 21% (20-40), monocytes 1% (2-10%), Eosinophils 3% and Basophils 0%. ESR 20 in 1st hour(men <20). C-reactive protein 6.4 mg/L (normal less than 6). Malaria and dengue test found negative.
Doctor again prescribed LIZOFORCE-600 TABLET( linezolid) for bactereial infection and said that the fever is due to infection at operation sight. Is that really due to operative infection or due to cold infection and what 2 do? please suggest me.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Operation site infection less likely.

Detailed Answer:
The chances of infection at the site of surgery 2 months after the operation are very less. If the bone and stitches have healed properly and there is no redness, swelling or discharge from the operation site then infection is not likely.
High grade fever and raised TLC suggests a bacterial infection but it can be related to a throat infection also. Do consult an orthopedician for proper examination to rule out infection and get a throat swab culture done to know the type of infection in the throat.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj