Suggest treatment for high heart rate and headaches

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I did little bit of lifting heavy objects. Also I had a cup of coffee. After that I felt heart rate increase and and headache as well. Even when it came down little bit still feeling uncomfortable in my chest. All tests done for heart and all good. Is that normal.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
To check for heart disease

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

No, it is not normal. What you described sounds like palpitations and Any chest discomfort must be checked out right away to rule out heart disease

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*what is your height and weight?
*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications?
*what do you do for a living?
*is this first time you had these symptoms?
*did you experience any giddiness or sweating with this discomfort?
*where exactly do you feel this discomfort?
*do you feel tired?
*what all tests were done for the heart & in general ? What were the results?

I recommend :
- a physician consult right away
-an electrocardiogram and echocardiogram
-blood tests (cardiac enzymes, lipid profile, blood sugar panel, kidney and liver function tests, complete blood count, electrolyte levels).
- a stress test if required.
-an angiogram if required

This could be just due to strain (lifting weights) or gastric acidity but I would like to errors on the side of caution & rule out heart related pathology.

Although your tests were normal, it is possible to develop a problem during times of physical & emotional stress.

Please seek medical attention. If you develop chest pain, breathing difficulty, palpitations (uncomfortable beating sensation of the heart), giddiness, pain in the left arm, jaw, neck, shoulder with unexplained perspiration, go to the emergency room.

Avoid strain, take rest, hydrate yourself well (unless medically contraindicated).
Even if this goes away on its own, with rest, I urge you to consult your doctor, telling him about the experience and making sure it's nothing to worry about.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
I am 74 kg height 5 6'
I do not smoke or drink

I am diabetic and take coversyl for blood pressure

I was 98 kg and I lost weight and I was on insulin but no need for it anymore

Lately I did not do any activities and I am not working

I am on long term disability

I take medication also for depression

Brief Answer:
Diabetes can mask pain of a heart attack

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up and clarifications.

Diabetes can mask the severity of pain in heart attack called a silent myocardial infarction.

Please consider my earlier recommendations and get this checked out.
I don't mean to scare but just to caution as it is better to check than to miss warning signs.

*are you any medications for diabetes other than insulin? If so, what
*have you missed any dose of coversyl?
*what medications are you on for depression?

Hope this help. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy