Suggest treatment for chronic kidney disease

Posted on Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi Docter, My father has diagnosed with kidney disease. In first report before water dialysis creatnine level was 12.68. Docter suggested us I can't do blood dialysis right now.. You can try in another hospital. After one week we consulted in another hospital and checked creatnine level was 14. He suggested us need to do two blood dialysis. In ultrasound report Kidney is looking very large. Docter is saying you need to do two dialysis per week. I am feeling very bad now. Please suggest me what I can do to fight this disease.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes. He badly need dialysis. Better Hemodialyis. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. As your treating doctor said, your father needs Hemodialysis badly. Because his creatinine and urea levels are very high. He is suffering from chronic kidney disease. His kidney functions are lost to maximum and this may be due to his long standing diabetes and it complication called Diabetic Nephropathy. For him Hemodialysis is very crucial, to remove the wastes such as urea from the body, to restore and balance the electrolytes and to remove the excess fluid which his kidney cannot able to remove. As your Nephrologist said, he need the hemodialysis atleast twice in a week. Further this may be increased to three times depends on his response to hemodialysis. Each cycle may take 3 to 6 hours. You have to understand that dialysis is not a cure for this disease. And it also does not reverse the kidney function which have lost due to the diabetes. It provides only upto 10 % of the kidney function. But it may improve the quality of life and increase the life expectancy. If the blood pressure varies highly during hemodialysis, then your doctor may advice to switch to peritoneal dialysis ( dialysis performed by removing fluid in abdomen). He need dialysis for life time unless new kidney is transplanted. Thus transplantation of new kidney is the only available option to prevent the dialysis. If you need to continue him dialyis, diet is very very important. Because to much of any food and water may worsen his condition. Thus he need proper dietitian to calculate how much water he need to consume per day. He should completely avoid the salt as much as possible. His diet must be a low protein diet. As the dialysis removes vitamins and minerals also, he need vitamin supplements specially designed for renal failure patients. Please continue the dialysis as instructed by your treating doctor. Definitely he will fell better after dialysis. Take care of his health. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 39 hours later
Thanks for your response. He is feeling very weak after last blood dialysis. Feeling very tired. Should I continue with Dialysis ?? What I can do to avoid this weakness.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Anemia. Excess water or sodium. Nutritional diet. Detailed Answer: Hi, I think you have noted his investigation results. He is very much anemic. His hemoglobin level is just 8.0 g/ dl. And it can occur if he consumes excess sodium, potassium and excess water intake. When excess fluid is removed during dialysis, he can get muscle cramps and feel dizzy and weak during or after treatment. Eating less sodium, potassium and drinking less fluid can help you feel comfortable before and after your dialysis sessions. His anemia too is to be corrected by proper nutritional support. Discuss with his dietitian and nephrologist about the diet. They have to calculate the what diet he is in need from day to day based on his blood reports. Because diet is the one which keeps him healthy and decrease the excess burden to him dialysis. Hope this helps.
Dr. Manjeth Kumar G