• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for bulging discs in the back and impingement in the hips

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: dear sir, i recently visit a local consultant orthopedic surgeon for my hip impingement (bilateral) and disc bulge (L5 to L3),and sacroiliac joint arthritis, the surgeon advised, i was unsuitable for surgical treatment . he advised physio and hydro therapy, i have DVT in left leg with a recent Myocardial Infraction and renal condition stage 3. what is my best next treatment.My GP advise me , i have only option to modify activity to prevent further damage. as there is no other option, and in future there is no chance for surgical treatment because co-morbidity to pain medicine and CKD. i have 3 cervical spine disc bulge. in view of above,can you advise me what should be my next treatment if there is further deterioration of lumbar spines , hip and cervical spine..
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
TENS can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The hip impingement and disc bulge that you have is progressive age related disorder. Apparently surgical correction is not feasible in your case.

Perhaps physiotherapy, continued use of pain relieving medications along with alternative therapies such as accupunture may be helpful. Discuss about these options with the physiotherapist.
Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 12072 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Relaxation techniques

doctor1 MD

I'm having recurring sharp pains in my head. Seems to be behind right eye and radiates to top of head. Pain is fleeting, but head feels strange...

doctor1 MD

I had a cycle scan of my abdomen and pelvis without oral contrast , but both before and after the uneventful administration of intravenous contrast...

doctor1 MD

My scalp has been sensitive to the touch for 2 months. No rash , sores or headaches . Had 35 ECT sessions a few years ago. Could sensitive scalp be...

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing worse sinus allergy symptoms than usual for past 2 days. Unable to sleep last night due to feelings of intense anxiety (unusual...

doctor1 MD

have sevre anxiety, i cannot drive a car, i am on disability due to my emotional irreluulations and mild agoraphobia, my anxiety has recently...

doctor1 MD

I'm a 54 year old female who has been under a lot of stress. Recently I have been noticing weird things. I start reading articles in the middle or...

doctor1 MD

I have a son in his forties who has always had a "short fuse". He can go from OK to suddenly swearing, acting irrational and spiteful. He has tried...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

160 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Praveen Tayal
  • Q - Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?

  • Q - Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...

  • Q - MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...

  • Q - What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?

  • Q - Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?

  • Q - MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....

  • Q - MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest

  • Q - What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?

  • Q - Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...

  • Q - What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?