Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suggest the treatment for cough with blood. Should I seek medical attention?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
I am 67 year old male
I am under treatment for cough with blood. Today I got my haemoglobin checked which was 10.2 gm%. Is this an emergency situation?
Please advise.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thank you , Sir, for trusting us with your health concern.
I have gone through your query, and I understand that the basic lesion causing the fall in hemoglobin ( due to hemoptysis - coughing up blood ) is the solitary lesion in the right upper lobe of the lung, for which surgery has been eventually planned.
The normal reference range for hemoglobin for males is 13.5 to 17.5 grams %.
Hence the level of 10.2 places you in the range for Anemia.
To answer your question, IT IS NOT AN EMERGENCY.
It is not severe anemia, but anemia definitely.
Since you are not facing ongoing ( current ) blood loss, you should consult your doctor for this report, and you would be prescribed iron supplements to build up your hemoglobin levels back to normal in a few months' time.
Meanwhile, hemoglobin is made up of heme ( iron part ) and globin ( protein part ).
Include both in your diet.
If you are a nonvegetarian, sources of heme include - red meat, liver, bone marrow.
If vegetarian, good sources are spinach, fenugreek, beetroot, green leafy vegetables, nuts, grains.
Good sources of protein are - chicken, egg, milk, tofu, paneer ( cottage cheese ), dal ( all kinds of lentils ) etc.
Do not worry and mention this to your doctor in your coming appointment.
All the best, and please feel free to discuss further.
I hope this answer helped you.
Good luck and wishing you good health aways.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor