Suggest remedy for itchy sores on legs

Question
I have sores on my legs that itch terribly. My legs swell quite a bit each day.
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
An itchy leg swelling in both legs in an elderly patient should be evaluated for many underlying causes. However, it is good that you don't have diabetes. But, that does not rule out the possibility of cellulitis, more so because you are in your eighties and you have already got peripheral neuropathy. The numbness and tingling in the hands and feet are due to peripheral neuropathy. This may often cause altered pain sensation and altered response to pain. This makes you more prone to infection, traumatic lymphedema etc. However, you have not mentioned whether you are hypertensive or you have any cardiac problem. Bilateral lower extremity edema may also be due to heart failure or volume overload. A possibility of deep vein thrombosis should also be ruled out.
So, I would need further information to comment on the problem-
1. Are your legs more swollen during evening or after long standing?
2. Do you have pain in your calf muscles or shortness of breath?
3. Do you have visible engorged veins in your lower limbs?
4. Do you have haemorrhoids or chronic venous insuffiency?
5. Do you smoke?
6. Were you used to stand for long during the day for a long duration?
7. Do you have any concurrent medical illness?
8. Have you undergone any surgery in the past? Do you ahve a history of any significant illness in the past?
9. Do you take any regular medication other than what you have mentioned above? If yes, please provide me with the list.
10. Do you have fever at present or have you had fever in last 15 days?
11. Do you have allergy?
12. Do you have a recent reduction in urine output?

My recommendations for the time being are-
1. Elevation of legs while lying down.
2. Avoid prolonged standing
3. For itching, you may take OTC antihistaminics (e.g. Cetirizine 10 mg at bedtime)
4. Please consult your local physician or internal medicine specialist for further evaluation.
5. You may need to have the following tests done-
Blood- Fasting TSH, HbA1c, Serum protein, urea, creatinine, Complete blood count, CRP.
Urine- Routine examination
Doppler ultrasound scan of lower extremity vessels
6. You may also start taking a vitamin supplement rich in B complex and antioxidant.
7. Maintain local hygiene and avoid local truma.
Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.
Dr. Kaushik