What causes redness and itching in between the fingers?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi

For the past week or so my fingers, in between my thumb it’s red and my next finger it’s red on the side and my middle finger its red on the side of it is red and itchy and has a few tiny cuts on one finger. I don’t know how I got this? If it’s from the cold weather here now. Or to much on my iPad or what? What can I use over the counter to get rid of this?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that you are suffering from a fungal infection. Accumulation of sweat during prolonged working on iPad can be a possible contributor. However, I would insist you to upload an image. It will help me to confirm.

I would insist you to apply some antifungal powder or lotion like clotrimazole topically (OTC). In addition, If itchiness is associated, I would insist you to take some antiallergic like cetirizine tablet (OTC) once daily for the next few days.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 46 minutes later
Is that a cortisone creme? What’s a celterizine tablet? I’ve been putting a hemp crepe on it, I’ve been reading that’s good?

How long will this last?

I'm gonna send you a picture of my fingers
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
No, that is not a cortisone cream. Cetirizine is an antiallergic. I doubt if putting hemp crepe would be a good idea.

Upload the image and based on my assessment I would be able to suggest how long it could last.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 minutes later
I can’t get it to upload, keeps saying it’s to big

I got it uploaded,..is celtzerine tablet like Zyrtec for allergies?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Candid B Cream should help.

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attachment. The area looks inflamed. Try applying Candid B cream topically (for not more than a week, else it will develop a tendency to recur).

Zyrtec is same as cetirizine.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
whats Candid B is that the same as clotrimazole ?

thank you

should I keep it covered or just let it open?

thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Candid B contains Clotrimazole along with Beclometasone

Detailed Answer:
Candid B contains Clotrimazole along with Beclometasone, a steroid, which will help in reducing the inflammation. You should let it remain open. Ensure that the area remains clean and dry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 hours later
I got some clotrimazole...but where do I get candid b? Will this be gone soon before Christmas on Saturday?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Will take a week or so

Detailed Answer:
If you have got clotrimazole, feel free to use it. You need not go for Candid B. I do not think that it would resolve completely by Christmas but it should be significantly better by then.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 26 minutes later
Oh good I hope it’s better by then.i have some lotrimin everyone that I gets says it’s for foot fungus am I getting the right thing?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not the right medicine

Detailed Answer:
No, it is not the right medicine for foot fungus. Please elaborate on the problem and I would guide you accordingly.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Where or what do I get then?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please elaborate on the complaint

Detailed Answer:
You have not elaborated on the problem. You need not go for Candid B [already stated in the last communication]. It contains an antifungal and a steroid (antiinflammatory). It should help.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 hours later
Where do I get it? I can’t find it around here, only the stuff for foot fungus. You have seen the picture of my hand.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OTC medicine

Detailed Answer:
It is available over the counter (OTC) and you can get it from the pharmacy. Yes, I have checked the image of your hand and have already provided the suggestion earlier in the thread. When you mentioned foot fungus I expected that you are talking about a different issue involving your feet.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 41 minutes later
No that’s just what it says on the package....I think I’m gonna go to fast care today and have a doctor look at it. A pharmacy like Walgreens?

XXXX

I went to fast care she thinks it’s contact dermatitis or something like that, it’s not contagious . She put me on triamcinolone acetonide external cream 0.025%. It’s a cream to apply 2 times a day for seven days. If it’s not better by then to contact my main physician. Is this cream good and will it work?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
It should help

Detailed Answer:
Yes, the cream is good and on the same line as I had suggested. You can use it. I hope it will help. If it doesn't, you can definitely see you primary care physician.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng