Can Latisse cause chapped lips?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My lips are cracked and peeling. Very uncomfortable. I have been using latisse for 3 months, could it be that? I haven't had any problems until now. Nothing is healing it. Cortisone, Vaseline, blistex Carmex and triamcinolone acetonide 0.025%

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Self care & expert advise as per need .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for asking your health concern on HealthcareMagic. I have have read & understand it,
Cracked & pealing lips are basically due to conditions like exposure to extreme heat or cold, lip licking, biting, picking or mouth breathing habit . These cause drying / inflammation of lip skin & pealing of lip skin .
The condition can get aggravated by over all health issues( allergy causing atopic dermatitis or extaematous lesion elsewhere on body/ infection with bacteria or fungal infections of skin, scalp or eye lashes/ aging process or uncontrolled diabetes )
You have been using steroid( including triamcinolone acetonide ),vasceline, bistex ( medicated lip balm ) & Carmex( moisturizers)... all of them not giving much of relief.
In this scenario,I would advise you to check with
- the personal habits like licking of lips/ chewing, picking or biting of lips, mouth breathing ) , exposure to extreme temperature.& try to stop these.
- Keep your lips cleaned & cleared with soft towels & repeated use of moisturizer is a basic need.
- Getting diabetes controlled , good control of allergy with medicines & avoiding exposure to allergens,
- also use of antifungal cremes application like ( candiderm cream mixed with moisturizer OR antibiotic like soframycin creme if you see small pustules an lips would help,
- Steroids help only in case of allergic /extematous conditions.They may worsen fungal infections f
* To avoid the confusion... consultation of a dermatologist, get investigated if required & specific advise for oral or local treatment is the answer.
I hope that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng