What causes persistent whole body itching?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: About 5 weeks ago my husband came home and started scratching all over his body. Then about a week later I started to have the same problem. We started using Eucerin skin calming itch relief cream and it seemed to help but then we both would start scratching during the night even with the cream on our bodies. My husband went to an urgent care doctor and he said it was some kind of allergic reaction because his back was broken out.
I have no rash or breakouts and I was still using the Eucerin. I went to my primary care doctor along with my husband and they said he definately had an allergic reaction and told him to use Triamcinolone Acetonide cream which seems to be clearing up is back but he still scratches now and then

The doctor said I have very dry skin and told me to stop using Eucerin cream because I would start itching with the Eucerin on now and then and to use Cetaphil moisturizing cream. I am having the same problem with the Cetaphil cream it works for a few hours and like last night I was scratching my breast and underarms very badly. The only thing I can think of is that parts of my body are very ireiatated from scratching such as my chest and my top inner thighs and the cream is bothering me because of the irritations on my body from scratching..

A few hours ago I took a shower and put no cream on and I am just a little itchy. I am at my wits end I don't know what to do use cream or not. I am not sleeping good due to the itching. Please advise me what to do, I am 67 years old and up to 5 weeks ago just took a shower and put no cream on my body and had no issues with itching..
I notice a few days ago when I got upset I started scratching badly so maybe it is due partly to anxiety which I have had for a few years now and am on Clonazepam. The doctor. also said the dry air in the house could cause me to itch and to get a cool mist humidifier which I did. I woke up today and started scratching because i went back to using the Eucerin cream so now I am using Cetaphil again

Please help.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly it is scabies

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Personal and family history of itching, specially nocturnal itching, starting around the same time, suggests a possibility of scabies. I would suggest empirical treatment with either oral ivermectin or 5% permethrin cream/ lotion.
In addition to this I would suggest you to take a tablet of levocetrizine 5mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T