Suggest treatment for itching on the body while having liver cirrhosis
Hello and welcome,
I am really sorry about the itching related to your liver.
Here are some things you can try for itching but I advise that you check with your liver specialist first to make sure they are ok for you to have:
1. Naloxone and Naltrexone: these are opiate antagonists but can be helpful for liver related itching. They are by prescription.
2. Cholestyramine: This binds to bile salts. It does help some people. It can be constipating though.
3. Antihistamines such as diphenhydramine and cetirizine (Zyrtec). Sometimes these have to be used in higher doseages than what is recommended on the over the counter instructions, but I would want you to check that out with your doctor before doing.
There are other medications that can be tried, but under doctor supervision as they haven't been approved yet for use for liver disease related itching. So do contact your liver doctor as he or she may be willing to try some with you.
I am really sorry you are having this problem and I know that generalized itching can be miserable.
is this for the rest of life
Thoughts on this
In spite of this problem being fairly common for people who have cholestatic liver disease, not a lot of controlled studies have been done on how to stop the itching. But there have been some recent discoveries about what causes the itching, so hopefully there will be medications that will be available.
In my reading on the problem, I also read that the antidepressant called Zoloft (sertraline) can help too.
Since the itching seems to involve chemical stimulation of the nerves, a medication that is currently being studied for this is gabapentin (Neurontin) which is usually well tolerated.
So...while I can't predict whether you will have this for the rest of your life, I would encourage you to talk with your doctor about trying some of these medications such as the naloxone, sertraline, and gabapentin. They may give you enough relief to make things tolerable or maybe make it go away.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for C liver cirrhosis
- Malaria leads to liver cirrhosis
- What is the treatment for liver cirrhosis-grade b
- Non-alcoholic liver cirrhosis treatment
- Is there any ayurvedic treatment for liver cirrhosis
- Liver cirrhosis treatment udiliv
- What is the good treatment for liver cirrhosis
- Liver cirrhosis lead to body ache
- Natural treatments for liver cirrhosis
- Treatment for liver cirrhosis hepatocellular carcinoma and renal failure
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis