Suggest remedy for constant feeling of something stuck in throat

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a constant feeling of "gunk" in my throat. I am constantly clearing my throat, attempting to expel it, or even swallow it down, but to no avail.
I was recently diagnosed with LPR. I had a laryngoscopy done. The ENT noted I have no phlegm in my throat. Yet, I experience a sensation of phlegm moving around in my throat when I try to clear it, and it sounds like I have phlegm in my throat.
Also, I experience a sensation of "bubbles" popping in my throat when trying to clear it, and I hear what sounds like quiet popping in my throat. It seems like the bubble aren't centralized to one location in my throat, but are all over the general area of my trachea and larynx.
Whereas it was simply annoying at first, it has become worse and worse and I am literally losing sleep trying to clear it. Also, I'm a singer and this has severely impacted my singing.
Any idea what's going on there?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having allergic post nasal drip (PND) with LPR .

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

After reading your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having
allergic post nasal drip (PND) with LPR . Allergic PND causes constantly clearing in throat .

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice
Plenty of fluids ,
Steam Inhalation twice daily,
Saline nasal spray or rinse thrice daily ,
Antihistaminic like Tab Claritin at night ,
Continue PPI &
Flonase nasal spray 2 puff each nostril twice daily.

Gargle with salt water 30 mins after nasal spray use to remove any spray coming to throat .

Don't make throat dry while singing , take slips of water continuously in between singing .

You will get relief .

Investigation needed CT Scan Nose & Sinuses to know source of phlegm .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 22 hours later
Thank you for your swift reply. I have already begun employing the treatments you recommended, as well as an LPR-friendly diet (no citrus, no tomato, etc.).

I do have a few follow up questions for you.

From what I heard, excessive mucus, post nasal drip and constant throat clearing are symptoms of LPR.
Is there something specific about my symptoms that leads you to believe my post nasal drip is caused by an allergy rather than the LPR?
As far as I know I am not allergic to any foods. I will be getting an allergy test done (environmental agents) in the near future.

Also, any ideas as to what is causing the sensation of bubbles popping in my throat when I try to clear it? Could the "bubbles" be mucus or gases?

I think phlegm comes from the lungs and mucus comes from the sinuses? If so, I guess I probably have mucus in my throat, not phlegm.

Thank you again for your time!

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most of time this symptoms it is due to combination of both allergy & LPR .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.

Excessive mucus, post nasal drip and constant throat clearing are also symptoms of allergy with sinusitis .

Most patient with allergy have only complain of post nasal drip .

Bubbles popping in throat is because of mucus mixed with air .

Mostly mucus in throat produce in sinuses when it get infected result into phlegm . Phlegm is also produce in lung due to infected mucus but there will be difficulty in breathing .

I would advice , continue complete treatment plan & do investigation as advice .

You will get relief .

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 38 hours later
Thank you again for your response.

Perhaps if I give you a list of all of my symptoms, you could provide even more information.

Other than the constant throat clearing, post nasal drip and the sensation of bubbles popping in my throat, my symptoms also include:

Occasional difficulty swallowing
Shortness of breath and the feeling of not getting enough air when I inhale
Hoarseness of voice
Tight/swollen feeling in throat
Sometimes the lymph nodes in my throat will swell and become tender after I have been trying to clear my throat for awhile
Muffled voice

Also, my symptoms seem to be aggravated by singing (maybe due to breathing technique?).

Do you have any advice as to how to loosen up and expel the mucus/phlegm in my throat? I have tried mucinex, gargling with salt water, gargling with hydrogen peroxide, taking guaifenesin, and I have tried various "huffing" techniques. The mucus/phlegm became noticeably troublesome about ten months ago, and I haven't been able to expel it since.

Thank you!

Brief Answer:
It is a combination of allergic postnasal drip + LPR + Chronic laryngitis .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.

Constant throat clearing,
post nasal drip ,
the sensation of bubbles popping in my throat,
Occasional difficulty swallowing
Hoarseness of voice
Tight/swollen feeling in throat
Muffled voice .

All this symptom because of combination of allergic postnasal drip + LPR + Chronic laryngitis .

Lymph node in head & neck region is because of frequent upper respiratory track infections on & off .

Yes all this symptoms aggravated by singing due to breathing technique & dryness of throat while singing .

Best way to loosen up and expel the mucus/phlegm in my throat
1) Saline nasal spray or rinse thrice daily to thin it ,
2) Antihistaminic like Tab Claritin & Flonase nasal spray at night to decrease production ,
3) gargling with salt water to thin it
4) syrup mucinex to thin it
5) Nebulisation with N acetylcysteine to thin it

Hope this information helpful to you .

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 40 hours later
Again, thank you.

I will definitely try the treatments you recommended.

Quick question--
When I had my laryngoscopy, it showed absolutely no mucus/phlegm in my throat. How is this possible? I definitely was not having a particularly bad day in terms of my symptoms (very minimal throat tightness/tenderness at that time), however I had been attempting to clear my throat for about an hour or two before the laryngoscopy.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion , you have cleared your throat before laryngoscopy .

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

Thanks for query .

Also since your are having mild symptoms , allergic PND is more clear & difficult to get after clearing throat .

Follow complete treatment plan , you will get relief .

Regards.