Can Xarelto, Toprol and Flecainide Acetate be taken with Black elderberry?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: HI,
I've recently started taking Xarelto, along w/ Toprol XL and Flacainide acetate, and would like to know if any of the following interfere with Xarelto or any of the other meds. listed here?
- Black elderberry (Sambucus syrup)
- ColdEze (Zinc Gluconate)
- Vitamin K-2/MK7
- Flonase (Fluticasone propionate – GlucoCorticoid, 50mcg)
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Toprol and flecainide has moderate interaction together

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but these medications are potentially safe to take together except for using toprol together with flecainide which may have additive effects that might lead dizziness, slow or irregular heartbeats, fainting, or palpitations. You may need a dose adjustment or to safely use both medications..I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 39 minutes later
Thank you, Doctor for your feedback. to clarify, I"m taking Toprol XL & Flecainide under direction of my cardiologist, and doing ok so far.
To clarify, my question was specifically for interference of the supplements I listed earlier vs. either of: Xarelto, Toprol XL or Flacainide. It sounds like the earlier mentioned 3 foods/nutrients, plus Flonase, should not be a problem with above 3 drugs? pls. confirm.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. yes , there are no reported interactions between the supplements your are taking and these medications.. However, black elderberry acts to increase the efficacy of the immune system , so if you are taking glucocorticoid as an immunosuppressant then they might be interacting with each other. I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D