What causes throat itching while on Zyrtec-D?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX xxxxxxx had advised me to try an allergy medicine with Decongestant because have been itchy throat for about 2 months now. I do have an appointment with allergist on the 30th. Anyway my symptons seemed a little better wasnt itchy at night, but during the day for a few hours. I have been taking Zyrtec D since last Monday. Yesterday was a very bad day and night very itchy and still itchy now. Should I stop the Zyrtec D. I was also flushing my nose with salt water and baking soda solution twice a day & Flonase once a day after flush.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different brands, add additional meds

Detailed Answer:
HI

You can continue the zyrtec D but may need to add additional medication to combat your allergic response.
Eg singulair or ketotifen.
Since these work slightly differently from the antihistamines, they would help with your symptoms.

In terms of the best air purifier without a filter,based on reviews, the options would be----airfree lotus, rxair plus with TiO2UVC1001B, airfree onix 3000.

For a purifier with a filter, based on reviews , the options would be---- coway ap1512hh, honeywell hpa 300 and whirlpool whispure.
The filters would need replacement yearly.

In addition to the purifier and additional meds, you should consider the following online suggestions to reduce problem particles indoors---(1)vacuum often preferably with a vacuum with HEPA filtration
(2)eliminate any smoking indoors
(3)make sure heating or cooling equip maintained with change of filters regularly
(4)exhaust fans in kitchen, bath and laundry areas

Really need to find out what are the exact particles causing your allergic reaction. This would be determined by your visit to the allergist, till then it would be a guessing game to trying to figure out what causes your symptoms.
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Is it ok for me to take allegra D along with AZELASTINE AND Flonase for the allergy to mold?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, it can be used

Detailed Answer:
HI

Yes, you can use this combination