Suggest treatment for persistent runny nose

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I HAVE A PERSISTENT RUNNY NOSE. NO OTHER SYMPTOMS - NO FEVER. IT STARTS WHEN I GET UP OF THE MORNING AND EASES UP DURING THE DAY. BUT, THEN IT STARTS AGAIN AT NIGHT. I HAVE TRIED OTC CLARITIN 24 HOUR WITH LITTLE SUCCESS. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO AN OTC MED THAT MIGHT HELP? COULD IT BE SINUS?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

A persistently runny nose can be due to allergies but it can also be due to irritant rhinitis - a reaction to inhaled chemicals that are irritating such as scents in dryer sheets to prevent "static cling" and other fragrances, tobacco or wood smoke, etc.

You can try an over the counter steroid nasal spray such as Flonase to see if that helps stabilize your mucus membranes. It can take a few days of regular use to see if it will help. Be sure to read the directions and aim the nozzle away from the nasal septum (i.e. aim out rather than in). A steroid spray can be helpful for either allergic or irritant rhinitis.

If that doesn't help, you may want to see an allergist to discuss the problem.

You ask if it might be "sinus". Do you mean do you have a sinus infection? Usually when people have a sinus infection, they feel pressure in their face, and may feel more fatigued and have a low grade fever. The nasal discharge can be discolored (not just when you first get up).

I hope this information gives you a start to getting better. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.