On treatment for lymph node TB. Blood test showed IGM and IGA negative. Looking for suggestion

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Lymphoma
Question: Hi Doctor - My son had a lymph node 6 months back in his next and he is on a treatment for TB (not a pulminory TB), now the lymph node vanished.. we took a anti tb ELSIA method blood test.. His IGM and IGA are negative, IGG showed equivocal 133..
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure that your son is now fully cured of TB, as he has completed six months of anti-TB treatment, which is adequate for lymph node TB.

Regarding the IgG test, it is very non-specific and has no clinical relevance.

In your child's case, the disappearance of lymph node is a proof that TB has got cured. We also look for absence of fever, good appetite and good weight, as signs of cure from TB.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (CMC Vellore), DM (CMC Vellore)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. It is so releaving for me..

There are also other tests done.. some areas where it is little more than the reference. how about these..

Liver function test:
A L P - 385.8 against (108 - 306)
ALBUMIN - 3.3 gms/dl against (3.5 - 5.0)
GLOBULIN - 4.3 gms/dl against (2.5 - 3.5)

Differntial count:

Poly Morphs - 39% against (40 - 65) %
LYMPHOCYTES - 56% against (30- 50) %
Monocytes - 0 agaist (02 to 04 ) %
he has good appetite and good weight.. he didnt have any fever..
It would be great if you could advice here..
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

Regarding the blood reports:

1. ALP (alkaline phosphatase) of 386 may be normal in children of growing age, so, no need to worry.

2. Low albumin and globulin indicate protein deficiency. So, you should give your son high protein diet, such as pulses (dhal), soyabean, eggs, milk and non-veg (if you take non-veg).

3. Differential count variations are minor and are of no clinical significance.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Thanks you very much Doctor.. this clarifies..

One last question.. Will this re-occor in future..
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
The chance of recurrence is very little, as he has been properly treated with full course of anti-TB medications.

Best regards,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM