Can Rifampin cause liver damage?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Why would a doctor change a prescription from Xifaxin to Rifampin when it was prescribed for hapatic liver desease. Rifampin shows it can cause liver desease. We waant to help it not cause more!
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
two possible issues

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question
XIFAXAN® (rifaximin) 550 mg tablets are used to treat hepatic encephalopathy (HE) recurrence in patients with liver disease.
Rifampin is an antibiotic used to treat tuberculosis.
My guess is that the doctor wrote for rifaximin (generic name for Xifaxan) and that would be the same medicine.
If the prescription was really for rifampin then that sounds like it was a mistake and definitely not something a patient with liver disease should be taking.
Check the label again and be sure it says rifampin. If it does then contact the doctor and/or pharmacist immediately.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 41 minutes later
Thank you! They gave her the wrong medication!
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
so glad you saw that

Detailed Answer:
It is great that you caught that. Thanks for taking care of her
Dr. Robinson