Can Rifampin cause liver damage?
two possible issues
Hello and thank you for your question
XIFAXAN® (rifaximin) 550 mg tablets are used to treat hepatic encephalopathy (HE) recurrence in patients with liver disease.
Rifampin is an antibiotic used to treat tuberculosis.
My guess is that the doctor wrote for rifaximin (generic name for Xifaxan) and that would be the same medicine.
If the prescription was really for rifampin then that sounds like it was a mistake and definitely not something a patient with liver disease should be taking.
Check the label again and be sure it says rifampin. If it does then contact the doctor and/or pharmacist immediately.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes gas, stomach gurgling and fullness in upper chest?
- Is it not safe to have Amoxicillin for heart murmur?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and tenderness on the sides
- Suggest treatment for Angioedema and severe swelling in limbs and face
- Suggest treatment for soft stool
- What causes hair loss?
- Suggest treatment for fever, sore throat, cough and diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for severe pain due to arthritis in spine and both hands
- Can Requip and Sinemet be taken together?
- What causes gritty, white discharge during urination?