What causes blood-tinged nasal mucus while suffering from cough and cold?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am having cough and cold since many days. The cough has subsided a bit now, but since past 3 days the snot from one of the nasals is mixed with blood. The other nostril snot is pale yellow colour and normal.

Is there cause to be concerned or it will subside by itself.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There is nothing to worry.
When the acute respiratory infection happens it can sometimes cause blood mixed mucous. There is nothing much to worry when its short term infection. In your case the infection has been there for days, so it should subside by itself.

It is only cause of worry in long term infections like tuberculosis, etc.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj