Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed white patches close to labia and itching in anal area. Could it be herpes simplex virus?

Answered by
Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 353 Questions

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: vaginal concernI am concerned about a diagnosis my OBGYN gave me today. she believes I have symptoms. I have two scaled feeling white patches located close to my labia. I also have excessive itching between my top vulva area all thru my anal area. I have two places on the vulva that have bumps not open sores. inside I also have these bumps. I have a mole that has changed and also have 4 new brown spots that have appeared. my lymph nodes hurt and i have no fever. but I also have lost fourteen pounds in a month. from what I know of herpes I know blisters/ ulcers appear and its painful during urinating. this is not my symptoms. can anyone help?
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.
After going through your symptoms, there are two differential diagnosis. One is vulvo-vaginal candidiasis and other is herpes genitalis.

We will talk first about candidiasis. Here patient will have intense itching as you have; but discharge will be more pronounced and curdy white vaginal discharge.
Clinical examination itself reveals diagnosis but if you want to confirm then you can go ahead with lab investigation - KOH mount which will reveal candida.

Now about herpes genitalis which usually present as blister and pain in genital area.
Many of patient can present with ulcerated lesions after blister rupture. Pain may not be evident in all patients. Clinical examination alone is enough to arrive at diagnosis.
However diagnosis can be confirmed with viral culture or DNA/PCR test.

But as your doctor has done clinical examination and has come to diagnosis, then it is likely to be herpes genitalis.

Treatment is completely different for both conditions. So if you want to confirm yourself, then you can go ahead and do lab test for confirmation.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, please revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Vulva

doctor1 MD

i am a 16 year old male, and am worried i am not going through puberty at the normal rate. i have pubic hair covering a some amount of the pubic triangle but not all, voice still fairly high, barely any hair under my armpits, short hairs on arms and legs and can't retract foreskin fully. is there something wrong???

doctor1 MD

Why do I have such a high area as men refer to as muffin. Mine is extremely large and high even when shaved clean (where pubic hair grows on top), is it the bone behind or tissue, fat whatever. Otherwise I m thin but in that are it seems like I have a lot more than other females?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a hard pea sized hard ball on the inside of my labia majora. It does not have a visible head as it seems to be underneath the surface level, and it does not discharge anything. It has a blackish undertone. It is not painful but it is uncomfortable when sitting cross legged. Could it be a cyst or ingrown hair? What can I do to make it go away?

doctor1 MD

Im 17, and sexually active with one person. I m also pregnant. I ve noticed dead skin between the those inner and outer lips of my vagina at first I thought it was tissue. I also just pulled back the skin a bit around my clitoris to be safe and there is dead skin there as well. I haven t been using any lubrication. I have also been a little sore down there. What s the cause and how do I get rid of it?

doctor1 MD

I have pain on the right side of vagina lip after using a dildo. It's very uncomfortable when I wipe or touch it. Sometimes it's dry down there then sometimes it's not. What could it be and what should I do?

doctor1 MD

Sudden Vulva Ulcers. STD test done herpes/hpv all of them NEGATIVE ! took a Arcoxia for 3 days then they appear all of a sudden without a single sore or blisters or symptoms. all of a sudden. what can be the cause? Only klebsiella pneumoniae was...

doctor1 MD

I have had a vaginal discharge since May. It started n Indana, where I traveled from Oregon for a 2 week vacation, then onto XXXXXXX for another week. I have been twice to my family doctor and omce to my gyn. Every test was taken and all came back...