What does vaginal pain indicate after using a dildo?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 24 Oct 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have pain on the right side of vagina lip after using a dildo. It's very uncomfortable when I wipe or touch it. Sometimes it's dry down there then sometimes it's not. What could it be and what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be vulvovaginitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub.
I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
I don't have insurance at the moment
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neosporin H can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.

You can apply Neosporin H ointment (available over the counter) and a mild painkiller like Ibuprofen 400mg twice to thrice daily after food and see if it helps.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Where can I get the neosporin H from??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can ask your nearest pharmacy.

Detailed Answer:
You can get it at your nearest pharmacy and it does not require any prescriptions.

Regards.