What causes vaginal discharge while on Diflucan?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have had a vaginal discharge since May. It started n Indana, where I traveled from Oregon for a 2 week vacation, then onto XXXXXXX for another week. I have been twice to my family doctor and omce to my gyn. Every test was taken and all came back negative. Even the DNA test was done. I was given diflucan, but although it helped the first time, it only seems to make it worse. I used to suffer from yeast infections and this ism't them. This discharge wakes me up at night and I itch to the point of scratching myself and drawing blood. Nobody seems to know what to do. Help!
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to take Diflucan for a longer duration.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
From your notes since you responded to Diflucan, it appears that you have resistant candida infection. Discuss with your doctor and take Diflucan for longer duration. This should help you.
Do you have any discoloration on the vulva. If so your Gynecologist needs to take biopsy to see if you have lichen sclerosis.

I hope this helps.
If you have further concerns I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 57 minutes later
I tested negative for yeast infection and diflucan does not seem to help. I responded years ago to diflucan, but only for a couple of days this time. I was given 15 diflucan tablets and have taken 5. I am concerned for my liver.You did not answer mynsecond question.Please respond to my original followup qyestion, asked 2 hours ago. I tested negative for candidas
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Sorry. Got busy in the hospital, and so could not answer.
Since you responded for few days this time, I still feel what you have is chronic candida infection. Did you test negative for Candida albicans in culture sensitivity test. If so it could be candida of different species. In this scenario you need to take Diflucan for 6 months. You can always confirm the health of your liver by liver function tests. Take Vitamin C capsules to improve your immunity.
Discuss with your doctor and repeat the cultures of vaginal swab. Request your doctor to test for candida Glabrata too. Do check for diabetes if not tested before.
I hope this is helpful.
Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 17 minutes later
Thank you, that was very helpful!
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for trusting healthcare magic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You are welcome.
Wishing you good Health
Dr Ramadevi Wani.